Notice of Privacy Practices of Hutto Fire Rescue Effective January 1, 2010.
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Legal Requirements: Hutto Fire Rescue is legally required to maintain the privacy of certain confidential information about your health and provide you with this notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to this information. Hutto Fire Rescue is required to abide by the terms of this notice as long as it is in effect. Hutto Fire Rescue reserves the right to amend this notice and to make the amended provisions effective for all health information we maintain. Any changes to this notice will be posted at our facilities. You may obtain a copy of the latest version of this notice from the Privacy Officer identified below.
Use and Disclosures Of Protected Health Information: Hutto Fire Rescue maintains your protected health information in a confidential manner in accordance with legal requirements. However, Hutto Fire Rescue may use protected health information as necessary, without your consent, for purposes of treatment, payment and health care operations. Some examples are:
- Treatment: This involves oral and written information we will obtain and share among health care providers involved in your care and transportation. For example, we will create a written record of the care and transportation you receive.
- Payment: This involves our obtaining payment for the transportation and services we provide to you. For example, we will provide information about your transportation and care to insurance companies and entities and agencies involved in reimbursement and medical necessity or utilization review.
- Health Care Operations: This involves our use of information about you to improve the quality of care. For example, we will use information about you for training, quality control, and licensure purposes.
In addition, Hutto Fire Rescue is permitted to use and disclose protected health care information without your written authorization or opportunity to object, in these ways:
- Any use or disclosure authorized or required by Federal, state, or local law
- To your parent or guardian, if you are a minor
- To your legal guardian or attorney ad litem if one is appointed for you
- Any use or disclosure in connection with judicial or administrative proceedings, lawsuits, subpoenas and disputes, as authorized or required by law
- For law enforcement purposes, as authorized or required by law
- In health care fraud and abuse detection activities, as authorized by law
- For health oversight activities, investigations by governmental entity or its contractor, and disciplinary or licensure proceedings, as authorized by law
- For military, national defense and security, law enforcement purposes, as authorized by law
- To coroners, medical examiners, and funeral directors, as authorized by law
- To avert threats to health and safety, as authorized by law
- For research and organ donation purposes, as authorized by law
- Uses and disclosures that do not identify you
Your rights: You have the following rights regarding your health information, provided you make a written request to exercise these rights to Hutto Fire Rescue’s privacy officer identified below:
- Right To Request Restriction: You may request limitations on the information we use or disclose for any of the reasons described previously but we are not required to agree to your request. If we agree, we will comply with your request unless the information is needed to provide you with emergency treatment.
- Right To Confidential Communications: You may request that we communicate with you in a certain manner or at a certain location, but you must specify how or where you wish to be contacted in writing.
- Right To Inspect and Copy: You have the right to inspect and copy most of the information we will maintain about you. We will normally provide access to information within 30 days and charge a reasonable fee for copying it. Under limited circumstances, we can deny this request. You may appeal certain denials.
- Right To Request Amendment: If you believe the information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, you may request an amendment. We will generally amend this information within 60 days of receiving a written request specifying the amendment you request. We can deny this request, for example if we believe the information you have asked us to amend is correct and should not be amended.
- Right To Accounting Of Disclosure Of Protected Health Information: You may request an accounting of certain disclosures of your information we have made in the six years prior to the day of the request, but not prior to January 1, 2010. We are not required to provide an accounting of disclosures or uses that occurred for any reason previously described in this notice.
- Right To Receive A Copy Of This Notice: You can get a copy of this notice anytime from our Privacy Officer identified below.
- Complaints: If you believe that your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with Hutto Fire Rescue or with U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. You will not be penalized or retaliated against in any way for making this complaint.
- Contacting Hutto Fire Rescue: You may contact Hutto Fire Rescue’s Privacy Officer, Scott D. Kerwood at (512) 759-2616 to file a complaint or to exercise any of your rights described in number 3 above.